Dr. Ahmad Al-Shash, M.D.
Allergy Institute was the first allergy practice in Central Iowa. Dr. Al-Shash took over the practice in 1977 and later moved the practice to West Des Moines. We strive to be Iowa's leading source of allergy, asthma, and immunological services and to provide the highest quality patient care for individuals and their families.
Dr. Al-Shash is a member of the AMA and the American College of Physicians. He also has been a member of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and American College of Allergy and Asthma since 1977. He is on the medical staff of all local hospitals and some in other smaller communities in Iowa.
Dr. Vuong Nayima, D.O.
Dr. Vuong Nayima joined the Allergy Institute in 2016. Dr. Nayima moved to Des Moines from Vietnam as a child, and grew up on the south side. After attending college at The University of Iowa and medical school at Des Moines University, Dr. Nayima completed the University of Iowa's Internal Medicine Residency Program at Methodist Medical Center in 2014 and a fellowship in Allergy/Immunology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2016. Dr. Nayima is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Allergy & Immunology.
Dr. Nayima first became interested in the field of Allergy/Immunology as a patient of Dr. AI-Shash long before he entered medical school. His medical interests include giving lectures to medical residencies in the Des Moines area, food & drug allergies, allergic rhinitis, and immune deficiencies. He is fluent in English and Vietnamese.
Some of Dr. Nayima's publications are as follows:
- Idiopathic Bradykinin-Mediated Angioedema Responsive to C1 Esterase Inhibitor Concentrate and Icatibant. AAAAI National Meeting 2018
- Severe and Early Presentation of NEMO/IKBKG Deficiency. ACAAI National Meeting 2014
- Chronic Breast Abscess in a Previously Healthy Adolescent Female Due to X-Linked Chronic Granulomatous Disease with Extreme Lyonization. AAAAI National Meeting 2015
- Pretreatment with IVIG and Corticosteroids for Contrast Media Induced Severe Adverse Drug Reaction. AAAAI National Meeting 2015
- Sudden Loss of Tolerance to Hen's Egg in an Adult. ACAAI National Meeting 2015
- Graded Escalating Doses of Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole in Immunocompetent Patients with Previous History of Delayed Rash to Sulfa Antimicrobials. AAAAI National Meeting 2016
- Retrospective Review: Assessment of Hypersensitivity Reactions in Patients Receiving Carbapenem Antibiotics Who Report a History of Penicillin Allergy. Journal of Chemotherapy 2014 Jun;26(3):150-3
- HCAHPS Score Improvement through Effective Communication. Research Day IMMC 2012
- Diagnostic Challenges of Kartagener's Syndrome In a Patient With an Unusual Complaint. Research Day IMMC 2013
Laura Jetter, ARNP
Laura Jetter, ARNP, joined the Allergy Institute in 2017. Ms. Jetter grew up in Indianola and went to Grand View University where she graduated summa cum laude with her BSN. Following the completion of her undergraduate degree, Ms. Jetter worked as an RN on the acute physical medicine and rehabilitation floor at Mercy hospital. She then attended graduate school at Chamberlain College of Nursing and graduated with honors with a MSN degree in family nursing practice. Ms. Jetter is nationally certified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Ms. Jetter has had a life long interest in allergy and immunology due to her personal experience with a food allergy.